Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Neal's Cooking

I hate to start sounding trite, but I am so thankful for my husband, especially for how much he likes food. When we first got married, neither of us really knew or wanted to put the effort into making elaborate meals. I once made Neal gnocchi when we were dating, but then life seemed to get too busy to bother with that kind of stuff. We spent much of this year subsisting on cheap and easy fixes (and more eating out than I would like to admit to). But I am proud to display one of Neal's delicious dinners:


That is baked ziti (actually rigatoni, but who's counting?) with mozzarella, ricotta cheese, and ground beef. He got the idea from pining for Sbarro food, and he just decided to do it himself. A big inspiration for me to quit hating cooking and actually make time for it.

We got so many cooking-related things for Christmas and for our anniversary that I'm started to get excited about cooking again. On Neal's sister Amanda's advice, we're going to try Bountiful Baskets starting next semester. Maybe that will convince us to eat a bit healthier, too.

I started using Pinterest (a fact I'm almost ashamed to admit . . .), and I've been doing some browsing for quick and easy recipes to add to the books we have. Next year, I want Neal and I to be eating more healthfully, and I want to cut costs on our grocery bills. I think I'll be drafting a New Year's resolution post pretty soon, and food/cooking will definitely be on that list.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck cooking! I look at where matt and I were 8 years ago when we got married and I chuckle at what we thought were our finest meals. We did a lot of nachos, guacamole dinners, Spaghetti, bread and cheese types of things - all good, but not terribly hard. But then, i suppose, they were very fine to us then. Before we got married, Matt ate all of his courses over the span of a week - corn one night, bacon another, salad another. Literally, that was all he would eat that night. And now we're food junkies, in a weird way of course.

    ReplyDelete