Sunday, June 19, 2011

Getting excited

Photo from jerryfergusonphotography. Creative Commons License.
Every so often I like to check out what the publishing world has to offer for jobs. I look specifically for jobs that require a year or two of copyediting experience, which I will have when I graduate. And more and more often, I'm drawn to New York. That's just where the center of the physical publishing industry is (though that might change by the time I graduate, which will be interesting. I would love to see the geographical effects that eBooks have on publishing), and that's where the jobs I want are, for the most part. But Neal and I have been talking about housing, and we know that we want to live in a home, not an apartment. That we want to have a backyard and live in a good neighborhood. Not something that we could really find in New York.

But I've been starting to look at New Jersey home listings, and I'm starting to love some of the houses up there. Lots of them are really old, maybe not something we would want to take on as newlyweds, but there are some houses that look to be in good shape and that have the kind of amenities that I would want. They're usually within the 250k-375k range, which makes them affordable (I guess. That's the El Dorado Hills part of me talking. In all likelihood, we would have to live in an apartment and save up money for a few years before we could do that), and so I'm getting hopeful. I know at least Penguin Books doesn't start the workday until 9:00 am, so there would be plenty of time to start public transit around 7 in the morning and just bring a book with me on the way. I'm getting really excited about this.

Is there anyone out there who knows of good New Jersey towns for both suburban-ish living and a good commute to New York? That knowledge would be much appreciated.

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to comment on my own post and say that I'm really curious as to what is going to happen to publishing geographically by the time I graduate. Maybe I'll wind up living somewhere less expensive if the publishing houses finish their leases and decide to move. Who knows.

    ReplyDelete